Monday, August 30, 2010

Sometimes a Do Over Would be Great

Ever read that book about Alexander's very awful, terrible, no-good day? Well, Alexander came to visit at my house today and brought his day with him.

I won't go into all the details, but the highlight of the evening was when I decided to trim my daughter's bangs because we have heatedly debated how to wear them every day since school started and I thought this would be a good way to end a 2-hour marathon of trying to do homework.....(hmmmm, bad idea).  Since I have cut her hair since birth, I don't think much about it...UNTIL, I realized I had cut her bangs way, way, way too short--I have no idea how, but they are about an inch long and they had been to her chin. I had intended to shorten them to her eyebrows, but viola...they were a tad shorter than intended. I just stared and started to well up with tears and then it was too late. I have an exceptionally self-aware 6-year-old (who is probably actually 60) and there is no way she isn't going to be upset. We are both upset and while she does look precious---and slightly wonky---there is no salvaging. I am the worst mother in the world at that moment. This is a kid who just moved to a new school and her mother has shorn her beautiful locks all to pieces. (And I wonder where she gets her bent for the dramatics??? LOL). I am done....no apologies will work and the horrified look on my husband's face does not help.

The only thing that saves the evening is when I remember that the circus is in town...yes, a circus. One night only---free student ticket stuck to the refrigerator....amazing grace plays in the background. LOL

We hop in the bath, wash the totally fubarred blonde tresses and rush to the circus----where we have a great time and she laughs and laughs. We are saved until tomorrow---when she has to go to school after staying up 2 hours past her bedtime and with a very bad, no good, terrible-mommy hair cut. 

Tell me I am not alone in scaring my child for life...pretty please. 
Maybe the circus will stay in town one more night and we can go again. LOL 
Ack...I need a do-over---without scissors. :(


UPDATE: on the hair crisis of the Croll household. LOL

We went to school today and the teacher made a huge deal of it: How cute they were and who cut your hair??? :) Little Bit just smiled and said my mom and went in the room. :) Ahh, big sigh of relief.
I emailed the teacher last night and told her, so she really has my thanks for playing it just right. Then the little girl standing next to her, said, "Yeah, my bangs are bothering me too, but my mom says I have to grow them out....sigh!" LOL

Now on the way to school [(she didn't want to go and was so afraid of being teased...which we talked about and about and what to do and does it matter what others think....yada, yada) and I had apologized for the 10th time for screwing up her hair], she says "Hey, mom, can I cut your hair?"
ME: "Ahhhh, why?" (knowing why!!!)
HER: "I want you to look funny too...."

Stinker....LOL
I don't know if this lesson needs to go so far as to let her pay me back.....although, I love that she has the guts to suggest such a thing. LOL I wouldn't have dared say that to my mom...and she sure did mess up my hair more than once. LOL

Sooo, in a show of solidarity (and extreme guilt LOL) I am off to get my bangs trimmed....but not scalped. :)  We can look like Amelie together. :)



11 comments:

Carisa said...

lmbo!!! i totalyy could've written this post about 3 months ago. i totally cut teagan's bangs super short & got that OMG look on my face as well. she was so sad but then said they were magic cuz she couldn't see them anymore when she looked up. ahhh, the logic of 3 yr olds, right?! well, now 3 mos later they are again brushing the tips of her eye lashes & i'm terrified to cut them again. i tried to talk her into growing them out - even tried to pin them back one day but that upset her even more. i think i've created her identity with bangs!!! LOL hope LB had fun at the circus & the kids are kind at her at school tomorrow.

wanna hear a REAL hair horror story? there is this little girl ion another kindie class & her brother CUT a chunk of her hair right on the top right before school & her poor mom had to take her to get ALL her hair cut off....she has a little spiky boy cut now. she looks adorable, but i'm sure her mom cried for days....

Lissa said...

You are so not a bad Mom! I mean, you were trying to solve the problem, you just got a little carried away... Just think... She won't have a problem and ask you to cut her bangs anymore...

We all have had a bad hair cut at least once in our lives...

Remember in the 80's when it was hip to have the teased bangs??? Well, I was trying to tell my Mom how I wanted them done and told her they were curled in all directions from the center of the bang area... Well, she permed my bangs... I had a mullet... Poofy, poodle curls for bangs and perfectly straight hair in the back. Sad to say, the next day was picture day. I'll see if I can't get my Dad to scan the picture. It's worth a laugh now, but I cried for days when it happened...

Maylee said...

OMGosh, too funny Chrissy. I remember my mom giving me a bad hair cut when I was young, have not let her touch my hair in over 27 years since. LOL!

The good news is, it will grow back. = ) Hugs!

Maylee said...

Oops, you know that I know how to spell your name. = )

Debbie said...

Aww Christy... my daughter cut her own fringe (bangs) before she started nursery right upto the top of her hairline!!! Funny now but I was completely horrified like where did she get the scissors anyway?? It happens and you know what? They do grow back and she will forgive you.......maybe lol!!!
Hugs Debbie

Giffysk8s said...

Been there, done that! Not only did I butcher Brittany's bangs, but it was the night before the school photos were taken, and those photos were for the yearbook! And when my boys were little, I used to buzz their hair. Well, after I finished Brennan's and while Keaton was climbing up onto the chair, I dropped the buzzer. Unbeknownst to me, it reset to the shortest setting. I didn't even check it~just buzzed it right down the center of his head! It looked like a reverse mohawk! I had no choice but to do the rest of his head that short, too. It was during the summer in CA, so we had to sunscreen his head everyday for two months until it grew back in! He HATED that! My neighbor nicknamed him the monk, and he was only 5! The good news is that they are all adults now and laugh about it~so know that you will be forgiven and she'll always know what an amazing mom you really are!

CraftyMomOf2 said...

Oh Christy!! I say you take a picture and do a mini journal about it. That way when she's 16 and decides to dye or cut her OWN hair you can both look back and laugh. And I promise you...she won't be scarred forever. Take her to your nearest hair baubble store and let her pick out cute clips, bobby pins and/or barettes to hold the tiny bangs off to the side or back until they grow out a bit!!

YOU ARE A SUPERB MOTHER!!! Worry none my friend...she will recover =)

xoxo
Meredith

Anita said...

You're not alone sweets! Here's a big HUG for ya! On to better days... :)

stamping bella said...

I have MAGIC scissors

donna mikasa said...

Oh, Christy....this is too funny! And I can so relate! I think every mom can! I actually ran some masking tape across my daughter's bangs as a "guide" and to this day, both of them do not wear bangs! Too traumatized!

sheabella said...

Brilliant idea to email the teacher. It sounds like it worked out well. When I was young, a friend came over and we played 'hairdresser' out of sight of our parents. He cut my long,long hair on the diagonal. My mom was horrified after growing my hair forever. I wouldn't let her cut it short to fix it so I walked around for over a year with one short pigtail and one long!. My school pics are precious.

New DT! Welcome

I am so excited to introduce our new DT members. They have already produced some amazing and truly gorgeous images over the past week and I ...